Graviton training Study plan (2nd season)
Amount of sessions: 10 sessions (With 3-4 workshops)
Starting date: 21st September 2021
Ending date: 23rd November 2021
1 session per week
Tentative Hour of the call: 8:00 pm CET (after TEC soft gov)
Time: 1 to 1:30 hours.
Methodology: There is some content that is required to be understood for a full comprehension before each session, that is referred to as pre-learning. Each facilitator will lead a Presentation or a Workshop and is free to choose if leaving additional information as Homework. Our intention is to Give people a study guide (general overview) of processes that need continued education and practice, to foster a culture of competence around solving the problems that can arise.
The Graviton training is a 10-session course that deep dives into tools and skills to prevent and manage conflict amongst DAO contributors. If you participate, claiming 6+ POAPs (1 per session), you can become a Graviton, a clear access point for your community to request support in a variety of situations.
TO CLAIM THE POAPs, there will be a bot in the TEC discord server, which will send it to you with the respective session’s password.
21 september - Session 1: Facilitator - Regis Chapman - Contextualization, unified thinking. We become what we practice, DDOs
- Integral Dynamics
- Polarity wisdom
- My stroke of insight - Jill Bolte Taylor
- Deliberately developmental organizations (DDO)
- Background information - Unified and divided (high level) 4 graphics
Building trust and resolving conflict
28 september - Session 2: Facilitator - Juan Carlos Bell - Conflict transformation, integrating shadows as a motor of change and evolution within dialogue.
- The Window of tolerance
- Little book of conflict transformation (Lederach)
- Lederach Summary:
- Antifragile (pages 16-17) - N. Taleb.
- True self and false self in organizations (Just read the conclusions)
POAP password: Gravity!
5 October - Session 3: Facilitators - Anna Marie Swam & Nathan Suits - Organisational Design and Creating Pathways for All - DAO dynamics and agency in flat structures.
- Full circle leadership
- Generative decision making
- The dark sides of leadership
- The 3 short articles on self-management, wholeness, and evolutionary purpose here
- Reinventing Orgs Map
- Introduction to the session.
- Group splits into two for 30 minutes, with Nate and Anna-Marie facilitating a group each. We’ll ask each group to think about an organisation that they’re a part of and then workshop the following:
The first group explores how to create spirals into and out of positions of greater responsibility.
We’ll give them the following ideas as a starting point: rituals of honouring and appreciation, time-bound roles (six months, or one year), advisor roles (or an advisor circle) that people can step into, supported hiatus (or offboarding) periods and clear processes on how to do that, knowledge sharing tools that pass over key information to those that step into new roles so those leaving know they can safely pass their role on, etc.
The second group explores how to design and embed ecosystem systems and structures that offer various pathways for inclusion, participation, and autonomy.
We’ll give them the following ideas as a starting point: Groups of various sizes, clear internal information pathways, time-bound roles, maximum group sizes, setting up pods or crews (small groups of not more than 7 that meet regularly with a particular focus), facilitated spaces for difficult community conversations about power, hierarchies, social capital, gender, and inclusion, spaces in calls for reflection and contemplation, etc.
- We’ll come back together so the two groups can share their discoveries and there’s some time for questions at the end.
12 October - Session 4: Facilitator - David Danforth - Nonviolent Communication
Exercise (praise or non-praise examples)
Continued education and practice: Join thursdays NVC study club
19 october - Session 5: Suggested facilitator - Lorelei Loie - Alternative Dispute Resolution - Human resources in DAOs (not humans as resources, but resources for humans)
- Restorative justice circles
- Accountability by For The People organizing collective
- Dominic Barter on why to have conflicts
PRESENTATION / WORKSHOP
Intro: Acknowledgement of our teachers & the legacy of circle-based justice built by millenia of pre-colonial cultures
Restorative Justice Theory: Dispute resolution can be fully decentralized, and what does fully decentralized mean
- Are you in an org currently? Do you have a stated conflict process? Would you know what to do if a team conflict arose?
- Brainstorm what types of conflict resolution can you think of? Is there a centralized party in each of these?
- Why doesn’t centralization work? (Review current justice systems)
- Go over quotes from FTP and D. Barter
Practical Implementation: How to set up a conflict res process in your org
- Selecting a method
- Training for Facilitators
- Team agreement to use the method
- Time resolving conflict is paid time
- Company culture: Celebrate conflict!
- A conflict res survey (tbd)
26 October - Session 6: Facilitator - Regis Chapman - Decolonization
2 November - Session 7: Facilitator - Manuel Flores - Psychology of Human Leadership -
WORKSHOP: How and WHO do we recognize as leaders
how crises relate to leadership.
Individual freedom and leadership
personality, charisma, threats, challenges.
Leadership disorder, power asymmetries.
9 november - Session 8: Facilitator - Juan Carlos Bell - Gravity processes - deep dive
- William Ury, Getting to yes in challenging times.
- Means of dispute resolution
- What does it mean to become a Graviton?
- Scale of conflicts, graduated sanctions guideline
- Alternative Dispute Resolution, steps of the mediation process gravity offers
16 November - Session 9: Facilitator - Livia Deschenmeyer - Ostrom’s principles - Decision taking and decision spaces
Ostrom on another perspective - how can we express our full selfs and bring them to the organizations we are part of, shifting work into passion. Decisions are a reflection of your psychological state. Agency in collaborative environments.
- Governing the commons - E. Ostrom
- Ostrom Summary
- Governance in decentralized networks whitepaper
- Graviton Soft Gov slides
- Exploring polycentric governance: Decision making in the TEC
- TEC’s rules and boundaries - Our handbook:
- Exploring Polycentric Governance in Web3 Ecosystems Workshop
23 November - Session 10: Facilitator - Juan Carlos Bell - Mediation case
Binder Kadeer roleplay (mediation in workplace case)
Hacker-star roleplay (powerscreen case workshop)
Comments: Continuous learning for Gravitons.