Proof of Competence funding proposal

Proof of Competence

This proposal combines 2 of my other projects, useWeb3 and Proof of Competence into a generic platform.

useWeb3 is a learning platform for developers to explore and learn about Web3. Whether youā€™re a new dev getting your hands dirty for the first time, or a seasoned developer making the transition into the Web3 space.

Explore the latest resources, tutorials, challenges, tools, courses and boilerplates and start learning. Once youā€™re ready, browse the job board to land a job at some of the leading companies that work on core, open-source infrastructure, products, tools, frameworks, DAOā€™s, etc.

Proof of Competence (PoC) started as a hackathon project at ETHLisbon (2021). Itā€™s an open, modular framework to create on-chain quests and on-boarding journeys into Web3. It uses a pluggable task system which can verify that on-chain actions have occurred. This allows to build up reputation or social (DAO) scores that prove an address is familiar with the specified technologies or protocols.

This allows to:

• Create on-boarding quests for developers to learn about a protocol
  • Proof an address is competent enough to have a basic understanding of a protocol
  • Novel ways to use the social (DAO) scores instead of token-weights for governance

Both projects were a great PoC (no pun intended) and have provided invaluable insights to take this to the next level.

Description

This proposal describes Proof of Competence V2. An open education platform for communities to design their own, unique learning experiences using on-chain data where members can learn and level up their skills and reputation about their projects.

The platform will be free, fun and engaging way to learn more about Web3, itā€™s projects and their communities.

Learning by doing and level up your skills with fresh challenges.

Learning Module

A fully open-source and modular system allows anyone to design custom learning modules, using common building blocks that are relevant to their projects. This can be any combination of:

• Learning (content) modules
  • On-chain verifications
  • Signing messages or other type of transactions
  • Quizzes

These modules can be followed linearly or in any preferred order to maximize an individualā€™s personal learning experience. Completing these modules would allow members to gain experience, level up and receive a ā€˜community-scoreā€™.

The quests are currently read from simple JSON files configured in the Github repository. To become a permissionless education system, these should be served from IPFS content directories, using similar JSON metadata files and markdown to include rich text, learning materials and any other additional resources. As long as itā€™s using the same, standardized structure anyone can upload their materials on IPFS so that it can get served from the platform.

Since it is such an open, permissionless system it would require some form of cryptography to ensure the answers of the quizzes arenā€™t stored in clear text.

Reward Module

Completing such modules could result in configurable rewards. Communities can configure the type of rewards and when these will be rewarded. Which can be for completing the entire quest or different levels and scores. Multiple rewards (e.g. bronze, silver, gold) could allow a member to level up their knowledge. Reward mechanism could be any combination of:

• Adding badge/attestations to their profile
  • Automated POAP distributions
  • Minting NFTs

Note that configuring rewards will be fully optional. Using incentives might bring in more people to learn, but are often not values-aligned. Rewards diminish the intrinsic motivation to learn. Members might come in to pick up the rewards instead of meaning to learn anything.

Integrations

The current PoC platform would already allow integrations using an API. Integrating with a memberā€™s community score would give new, novel ways to on-board them into the community. Some examples:

• Gated-access on community websites, wiki and forums

• Gradually unlocking new channels on Discord

• Governance power to provide an alternative to token-weighted

• Recurring airdrops

• Developing such integrations are not in scope for this proposal, although looking forward to bouncing ideas/suggestions/discussions for future releases.

Scope

The current implementation of PoC focuses more on the verification system, but only provides limited information and context. To become an education platform, communities need to be able to add their content, resources and learning materials in a structured manner. Integrating with existing identity solutions so people can build up their reputation on the profiles they already have.

Example of a quest for Proof of Humanity - Proof of Competence

Requested Funds

Iā€™m requesting a total of $5.500 USD in stablecoin for developing the following components that will help move PoC to a new V2.

$1.500 Develop content & learning system
$1.500 Develop quiz module
$1.000 Integrate profiles using existing identity solutions (Ceramic/Self.ID/ENS)
$1.000 Design an initial Web3 / Solidity course to showcase the new features of the platform
$0 Collaborate with Communitas WG to spec out a TEC learning experience using the developed components

+10% for contingency

Team

Wesley (@wslyvh) has been an active member in the space, working on a variety of different projects as an indie hacker (PoC, useWeb3, Tokenlog, a gas tracker, a good first issue explorer) and as contractor for several leading companies (ConsenSys, EF).

https://twitter.com/wslyvh

PoC is also brought in as a project to Developer DAO and has several members supporting and contributing in varying capacities. The current work is currently focused on research on user/player-centric design, gamification and how competence can help people land their jobs in the space. This will continue in parallel.

8 Likes

Thanks for the proposal Wesley, the PoC looks interesting. Integrations seem to be very useful.

Iā€™m currently working on Web3 Design Education course, similar to Useweb3 but targeting designers.
I wonder if we could collaborate, or I could make use
of PoC in my project?

2 Likes

Looking forward to see the implementation of this on TEC!

It was my understanding from this proposal, that the POC is on Stage 1 right? What does the timeline looks like for V2? And if there is any need or necessities that you may have identified are needed to get there.

1 Like

Iā€™d be more than happy to collaborate with you (also with useWeb3, btw. Maybe we can add a dedicated design section?). The focus with PoC however, is more on verifiable data & credentials.
E.g. has deployed a contract, has interacted with a contract X, has voted on Y amount of proposals, etc. Iā€™m not sure how applicable that is in the context of designers?

The upcoming learning and quiz modules might be more relevant. Iā€™d be very interested to hear more and see how we can collab! :muscle:

PoC has a fully functional, working product running at poc.quest which provided a huge amount of input and experience to work and decide next steps. Those next steps (a next version, or V2) is indeed what this proposal aims to achieve.

No real blockers as of now, although I do wish to keep things as permissionless and neutral as possible so that it remains/becomes a public good for any Web3 community. That also means working with more communities, get their input and help design similar on-boarding journeys and quest with them. This could be an ideal task for community leads, stewards or other non-tech folks whoā€™d like to help.

Iā€™m relatively new to both communities, but the PoC project sounds very similar to/could benefit from cross-pollination with the quest system that MetaGame is developing (Quests champion proposal - General - MetaGame). I believe I found TEC through MetaGame, so there may already be some familiarity/collaboration, but wanted to call it out in case you werenā€™t familiar.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing. Iā€™ve been in contact with Peth for quite a while.
I think youā€™re right that thereā€™s a lot of overlap on the questing system.

This proposal somewhat moves away from it just being used for quests, but more on overall learning, quizzes, etc. But following up with Metagame soon!

1 Like

Would be great to make this a part of SBTs ( Soul Bound Tokens) - which I had suggested every participant of the TE ecosystem be identified with. This was a part of The Commoners Strategy which I had proposed. Which is still struggling to find a reasonable hearing for so many reasons.

I donā€™t have access to the document you shared so not sure about specific implementation details, but Iā€™m generally not a fan of SBTs. Crypto is about empowering people, protecting their personal freedom and sovereignty. They should always have the option to revoke or remove any information they donā€™t feel aligned with.

Having said that, I realize this thread has been quiet. My bad! PoC somewhat shifted direction, but weā€™re about to launch a new learning and certification platform. Very open to design and spec out any TEC modules once launched.

3 Likes

@Kojak Can you change the permissions on your slides? Iā€™m not able to see them.

1 Like

The Commonersā€™ Strategy - anyone can access it now. Its a high level view and not an operational one. So if you are the nose to the wheel type, this document is a core concept and will need to be discussed and evolved further -iteratively.