Ethereum based forum accounts: good idea or...not so much?

While registering on the Gnosis forum, I saw the option to create an account using an Ethereum address. I decided to try it because, why not. :man_shrugging:t3:

My “why not” reaction is not exactly a deep analysis so I wonder what the community thinks. Is that a feature we would consider for our forum? What might you consider are the advantages or disadvantages of doing so? Is it even possible with Discourse (I think that is what they are using too but have not confirmed).

Screen Shot 2021-10-14 at 9.30.07 PM

2 Likes

This is awesome tam! Get that feature would grant us the option to create an account without the need of Google or any similar company

1 Like

Interesting. It’s smart having Ethereum as an option to sign-in. That way we don’t block any curious explorers in the shorter-term, but actively bridge our community to where we want to be over time. I wonder how hard it’d be to start pressing all our toolmakers to make this possible.

Here’s one possible implementation, with WalletConnect support. I can’t tell if this is what Gnosis used though:

2 Likes