Sociocracy is a governance structure that uses distributed consent, instead of consensus, for discussion and decision-making. Sovereign domains, or circles, are formed by colleagues of specific interests. The many domains are linked via colleagues whose membership overlap in the domains that need to interact. Lastly, a top level coordinating domain comprising of at least two members from each subdomain come together to participate in the governance of the whole.
Threefold Social Organism the Cultural, Economic and Legal domains of society are phenomenologically revealed to encompass the entirety of all other socioeconomic activities. An organic governance model is put in motion when these three domains operate independently from each other, nevertheless, are also organized to overlap to govern the community; each domain having an unalienable and sovereign equal share in it. The health of the community is measured by how equitative the influence of each domain is on the whole.
Holacracy/Holonic Stigmergy are two forms of organization which take the best properties of hierarchical and heterarchical systems and synthesize them into an improved mechanism for tuning the emergence & engineering of self-organizing applications. Holonic stigmergy (which is based on biomimicry) is comprised of holons, which are units that are simultaneously a whole and a part of the whole; and stigmergy (also based on biomimicry) is a system of indirect coordination in which the trace left unto a medium by an agent’s action stimulates subsequent actions by other agents in a distributed fashion.
The healthy governance of an organization ought to bring authority and accountability through the enabling of inclusive decision-making for the whole.
We propose a DAO designed to tame the tendencies towards mono-cracy (e.g. monarchy, technocracy, extrovertocracy, etc.) or polarized democracies, both of which have a tendency to emerge in societies of all types and sizes, including DAOs.
We leverage the concepts of Sociocracy, Holacracy, Holonic Stigmergy, and the Threefold Social Organism, to design a DAO capable of providing fair, impartial, and weighted representation to all of its members and possibly even external partners. Our chief aim is to prevent one domain from overrunning the other two. In our current real-world paradigm, the economic domain has overrun the Legal and Cultural domains.
Why? — To facilitate the comprehensive inclusion of the whole in governance structures
It can be readily perceived that governance structures, even when set up with the best of intentions, tend to devolve into monocracies or polarized democracies. Although the phenomena behind this links to complex human behaviours and historical compromises, it could be said that democracy has run its course and matured into a polarized grid lock—something new needs to emerge. Having tried monocracies, and two-party democracies; our contention is that a trinary model would prevent the stalemates of the two previous models and allow for a dynamic and organic solution to the social question, and applicable to a DAO, DAO2DAO, or a DAO of DAOs, etc. From Holacrocy/Holonic Stigmergy, Sociocracy and the Threefold Social Organism we can take the required elements to engineer a governance method that would guarantee the healthy flow of decision-making by the whole for the whole. The current demographics of the crypto space is very heavy on devs, managers, designers and marketers and the triDAO has the purpose to healthily diversify the space to include currently-silent partners.
- We start by categorizing the activity essence of each member, working group and protocol into one of the three top level social domains: the Economic, Cultural and Legal. A KYC protocol would be used to onboard and keep track of affiliations to the three domains. For instance Griff would be a member in all three domains, while MountManu would be a member of the Cultural and Legal domains only.
- Then, the minimum number of representatives from each of the three domains would need to be agreed upon, always aiming for a fair balance among the three top domains.
- Only when this balanced tripartite quorum is met, governance may occur.
- If this quorum cannot be reached, either due to time constraints or insufficient participation, then Holacracy and Sociocracy procedures might be temporarily applied.
- A triDAO in session is then free to choose the most suitable voting protocol for the decision at hand. It could apply direct, quadratic, federated, etc. voting methods, including giving one of the three domains full executive powers(aka tyranny) over certain issues. Hence the triDAO is able to adapt to the very diverse types of decision-making tasks that are naturally bound to arise in the life of a DAO and act in representation of the whole at all times.
- Determine and verify that all members are assigned to the correct domains as per their capabilities.
- Verify that the triDAO meets the minimum tripartite quorum to proceed with governance.
- All decisions, from minute to critical, are to be passed through this trinary governance. Deliberation of issues such as “Praise Quantification Resulting in Impact Hours” or TEC’s “Community WHY” video, could have enacted this trinary governance model to arrive organically to the most representative decision of the whole.
- The triDAO freely elects the appropriate governance protocol to use for the issue at hand. In the case of the “Community WHY” video, the triDAO might grant full authority to the Comms WG to execute its production or opt for quadratic voting among a balanced threefold representation of the whole. NOTE: depending on the level of importance or complexity, a mix of analog and cryptographic methods could be used for the undertaking of these tasks.
Below we approximate the membership of each existing TEC working group with one of three domains defined in the threefold social organism’s framework and determine that the Economic domain has less representational weight. Luckily, the tripartite method of the triDAO is aligned with natural laws and hence naturally occurring. For instance, the “Praise Quantification Resulting in Impact Hours”, was executed by a well balanced group of 9 stakeholder which themselves were balanced across all three of the social domains. Nevertheless, the TriDAO’s goal is to reveal this natural governance phenomena into a super conscious living protocol.
Table 1. TEC Working Groups categorized into the three social domains.